Job Title Operations Manager-Africa Region Job ID 47588 Full/Part Time OFFICE LOCATION Nairobi, Kenya. Arusha, Tanzania; Lusaka, Zambia.
The Operations Manager – Africa region will provide overall leadership for all operations functions in the program. The Operations Manager will be responsible for Procurement, Logistics and Assets Management, Contracts, Facilities, Office Management, Payments, Organization Tax matters, Compliance to TNC Policy and Procedures and local laws.
The Operations Manager will work towards meeting the strategic priorities of the Africa program by developing and coordinating the operative plans and overseeing day-to-day tasks. S/he is responsible for managing central administrative functions, facility management, telecommunications, central filing, telephone/public reception, maintaining office supplies and equipment, asset and fleet management, insurance covers and renewals across all countries in the region. The Operations Manager is the lead Procurement Manager and Payments Manager for the region and champion for compliance in all areas of operations. The Operations Manager is responsible for development and implementation of annual operational budgets and provide inputs for proposals. S/He will contribute to the development of new guidelines and report to senior leadership on functional activities. The Operations manager will work in close cooperation with any or all the following: vendors, public agencies, and legal, tax and accounting professionals. S/he will work closely with conservation staff, business leads in HR, legal, immigration, Finance and IT amongst others. They will adhere to and advise on the organization’s policies and procedures. They will provide advice, recommendations, and broad training related to operations and payment procedures. The Operations Manager will maintain expert knowledge of the systems and resources utilized by the team and apply knowledge to managing support and planning communications related to the resources. They will manage documentation, initiate complex processes, and serve as key team member for the enhancement of systems and tools. They will lead diverse activities, analyze situations, evaluate alternatives, project outcomes, and implement solutions to improve effectiveness
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
• Act independently, exercise independent judgment to identify and solve operations complex problems.
• Design and manage multiple projects, directing work of staff, setting deadlines, and ensuring accountability.
• Design and plan new initiatives that will ensure department and organization-wide goals and strategies are achieved.
• Direct or participate in negotiations for complex or sensitive agreements.
• Ensure programmatic commitments, Conservancy policies and procedures, are met and managed for compliance. Decisions may have program-wide impact and may bind the organization financially or legally.
• Champion for compliance of TNC policy and procedures.
• Develop and monitor Operations budget, forecast and sustainability.
• Develop and monitor procedures for compliance and recommend for amendments.
• Oversee day-to-day operational activities such as purchasing, processing invoices, expense reports and cash advances, negotiating, and contracting with vendors; ensure program expenditures are in accordance with the TNC policy and procedures, cost principles and the donors.
• Manage and oversee Asset and inventory, depreciation of assets, insurance covers and renewals.
• Coordinate with Finance and accounting vendors for in- country audits.
• Custodian for in regions contracts; review and approve contracts/consultancies; manage and oversee procurement and ensure compliance.
• Ensure contracted vendors carry required insurance coverage and that appropriate documentation is obtained and maintained.
• In region lead person for tax compliance matters.
• Maintain confidentiality of frequently sensitive and emotionally-charged information.
• Manage team accountability for strategic goals related to functional area.
• Supervise one or more administrative or professional staff, including training and professional development.
• Travel frequently and on short notice, working long or flexible hours as needed; and
• Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
• Manage or oversee activities related to in-country legal, labor and financial compliance.
• Liaise and coordinate with WO treasury on invoice payments.
• Manage and oversee local accounting vendor.
• Manage and oversee relationships with other vendors and service providers as needed.
• Manage and/or oversee invoice processing.
• Manage all Operations aspects of entry into new countries in the region and exit from countries where TNC is ceasing operations.
• Bachelor’s degree and 6 – 10 years’ experience or equivalent combination of managing operations functions at the equivalent level.
• Finance / Accounting and Auditing experience.
• Proficiency in interpreting guidelines and manipulating, analyzing, and interpreting data.
• Multi-country experience in the Africa region.
• Experience leading and implementing multiple projects.
• Experience generating financial reports, and analyzing and interpreting data.
• Experience developing and administering departmental budget or equivalent.
• Experience negotiating agreements.
• Experience working with diverse teams across an organization.
• Supervisory experience including setting objectives, managing performance, and conflict resolution.
• Proven strong people and training skills.
• Legally authorized to work in the desired locations.
• Experience managing to the highest ethical standard.
• Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in relevant discipline, preferably in a non-profit environment;
• Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated;
• Ability to work in partnership with others in a collaborative or advisory role;
• Demonstrated ability to conceive and write creatively for various audiences;
• Experience in Risk management
• Experience developing, managing, and implementing goals, plans, and complex processes;
• Expertise in current and evolving technology related to field of experience;
• Successful experience managing and implementing strategic program goals;
• Superior planning and problem-solving skills;
• Accounting degree and CPA accreditation; and/or
• Non-profit GAAP accounting experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 47588, submit CV (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on May 22nd, 2019.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.TO APPLY CLICK HERE